The huge variety of micro-bacteria that live in our gut – known as our microbiome, gut microbiota, or intestinal flora – are so much more vital to our health than we ever knew. We are constantly discovering new ways to boost our microbiome health by taking probiotics.
When we eat foods and take supplements containing probiotics, we take in live bacteria or microorganisms. These tiny cultures – often taken by the billion – are good forms of bacteria that help our bodies function in many ways. Our digestive systems, mental health, immune systems, reproductive, and urinary systems all improve when our bodies contain a greater level of probiotics.
In this article, we take a look at the best innovations in probiotics for women, and which products can give us the best benefits for our gut, vaginal, and urinary system health.
Why are Probiotics Important for Women?
For women, healthy and increased gut flora is linked to reductions in vaginal issues and annoying menopausal symptoms. Some of these include:
Urinary tract health
Steering clear of UTIs is always a priority for women. We are young when we learn about the right way to wipe, the importance of not holding it when you need to use the toilet, and good hygiene practices after intimacy.
Despite following the rules, chances are most women will suffer a UTI at some point in their lives, and associated urinary problems only increase with age and menopause. Probiotics are shown to help with these age-related symptoms and can help relieve discomfort.
At all ages and stages of reproductive development, women face hormone fluctuations that rise and fall due to periods, pregnancy, imbalances, and menopause.
With these fluctuations come a number of symptoms, some of which can increase the likelihood of vaginal and urinary irritation and infections. Probiotics can help to support our vaginal flora when our hormones make them ripe for problems.
Vaginal Health and reducing infections
Even when following all the rules and enjoying a long stretch of balanced hormones, simply having a vagina often means at some point we will suffer from infection, yeast, or irritation symptoms.
By increasing our gut flora through taking probiotics specifically formulated for women, studies show that we can reduce the likelihood of problems that we previously accepted as inevitable.
For women battling the seemingly unending list of menopause symptoms, relief from any part of its grasp can feel life-changing.
Vaginal changes such as dryness, atrophy, and urinary problems are a particularly cruel part of the menopause process. Never getting as much attention as the classic symptoms of hot flashes and mood swings, vaginal changes affect more than just physical health. When intimacy becomes more difficult and we are constantly irritated, our mental health can suffer.
During a clinical trial, researchers found probiotics very effective in combating some of the uncomfortable dryness and urinary problems common after menopause. Women in the study had higher all-round vaginal health scores compared with women not using probiotics.
During pregnancy, the many medically observed changes to a woman’s body include a decrease in some forms of good bacteria in the gut, leaving the body susceptible to an increase in cultures that cause problems.
By taking probiotics for women designed for pregnancy, the balance of the gut flora can help avoid problems during pregnancy.
How to Choose a Probiotic for Women?
With so many choices out there when searching for probiotics it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Fortunately, we will help to break down the many choices, finding the right probiotic for you depending on your lifestyle and dietary preferences. Let’s take a look below at key things that you need to consider when choosing a probiotic that is right for you.
Most people like to keep their health routines as simple as possible. There are many creative probiotic products available with innovative ways to ingest them. For people who don’t like pills and capsules, delicious gummies like Novomins are now available.
For lovers of smoothies and protein shakes, well-hidden mix-in powders or liquid solutions can add probiotic power to your daily shakes or meals. Whether you have gluten-free requirements, lead a vegan lifestyle, or require halal solutions, there’s something for everyone out there.
CFU Counts and diversity
Probiotic cultures are measured in CFUs (colony-forming units). This is just a way to measure how many viable bacteria are contained within a dose. We measure CFUs in millions and billions as there are so many microorganisms in our gut and in our probiotics.
For the purposes of getting the most out of our supplements, we want to get plenty of probiotic gut flora, but the larger amounts of CFUs do not always correlate with quality.
A balance of CFUs from a quality brand and useful strains is important to keep in mind when choosing a supplement.
Allergens and ingredients
If you suffer from allergies, or avoid some ingredients for health, religious, or ethical reasons, it is vital to pay attention to what goes into a probiotic.
Many brands offer vegan, kosher, halal, gluten-free, and soy-free options, but it is important to always check and make sure that you are buying from a reputable brand and that they are certified across specific requirements.
Top 10 Probiotics for Women
With unique needs and very promising studies showing the benefits of probiotics for vaginal health, why not give yourself the best chance of optimal health in every way?
We have compiled a list of the top 10 probiotics for women available in different delivery methods to fit your lifestyle, preference, and dietary requirements. Below we’ll take a look at probiotic gummies, powders, pills, and liquid formulations.
Best Probiotic Gummies for Women
Vitamins in gummy form have seen an explosion in recent years with many people preferring them to the traditional pills and liquid form supplements. It is no surprise why they are so popular, providing fast delivery, convenience, and a tastier way of consuming healthy essential probiotics.
One criticism of gummies to date is that people still do not enjoy the taste of the gummy supplements they have tried so far, and companies like Novomins have moved quickly to change this.
Novomins Women's Bio Balance
A game changer and world-first when it comes to probiotic gummies for women, Novomins Women’s Bio-Balance changes the way we think about gummy vitamins and supplements.
With a naturally sweet and delicious taste and a formula completely designed to maximise women's vaginal and urinary health containing probiotics, calcium, and cranberry (best known for preventing UTIs), staying on top of your intimate health couldn’t be easier.
- Infused with 4 Billion vaginal-friendly bacteria. Novomins Women’s Bio-Balance contains three essential bacteria:
- Lactobacillus paracasei
- Lactobacillus reuteri
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Benefits of Novomins Women's Bio Balance Gummies
- A delicious strawberry taste and easy-to-chew
- Vegan-certified, gluten-free, and halal
- Infused with calcium and cranberry extract to support the gut biome and intimate flora
- Formulated to contain no artificial colours or preservatives and are NON-GMO
- Women with specific dietary requirements that include vegan, vegetarian, gluten intolerances, halal
- Those constantly on the go and looking for a quick, tasty solution to their daily probiotic intake needs
Novomins Bio-Bac Gummies
Another world first! Formulated with 11 strains of gut-friendly bacteria providing 50 Billion CFU, Novomins Bio-Bac Gummies contain no artificial colouring or preservatives, are NON-GMO, and are halal.
Perfect for the whole family, these convenient, great-tasting gummies balance the gut microbiota, providing a range of benefits that include, improved mood, sleep and digestion.
- Packed with 50 Billion CFU from 11 gut-friendly bacteria strains (yes, you read that correctly, 50 billion CFU)
Benefits of Novomins Bio-Bac Gummies
- Convenient for those on the go or travelling
- A delectable peach taste and easy-to-chew
- Appeals to children
- Vegan-certified, gluten-free, and halal
- Formulated to contain no artificial colours or preservatives and are NON-GMO
- Those with specific dietary requirements that include vegan, vegetarian, gluten intolerances, halal
- For the busy bees of the world who are constantly on the move and in need of a convenient, tasty solution to their daily probiotic intake needs
Novomins offers a wide range of gummies formulated for women, these include:
- Iron Gummies
- Collagen Gummies
- Meno-Balance Gummies
- Fertility Gummies
- PMS Gummies
- ACV Gummies - Take a look at our guide that discusses the numerous ACV Benefits
Best Probiotic Powders
For women who truly wish to hide their probiotics or already include supplements in their food, probiotics are available in ready-to-mix powder.
Popular with lovers of smoothies, yoghurts, porridge, and other soft foods, these powder probiotics can provide an extra boost to your healthy meal.
Here are some of our favourite health-boosting probiotic powders.
Biomel Complete Gut
Enhanced with vital vitamins B6, B12, D, and calcium, this high-quality powder is perfect for adding to smoothies, milk drinks, porridge, or sprinkling on any meal.
- 25 Billion live cultures from 13 different strains
- Blend probiotics and vitamins into your daily routine. Added digestive enzymes help those with trouble digesting lactose, carbs, and fats
- For people who like the convenience of taking gummies or pills, this extra blending step can be an inconvenience. For people in a rush or without a routine, this power blend may prove tricky
- Not tailored specifically for women
- Adding to your daily routine without needing to take pills
- Those that require vegan and gluten-free solutions
Dare Motivational Shake
A convenient way to make a shake filled with nutrition, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals.
- Each shake contains 10 billion CFUs along with other vital body and brain boating nutrients
- Comes in a variety of flavours
- Formulated for men and women
- Vegan friendly
- Not convenient if you are constantly on the go or travelling
- A general health supplement that includes probiotics rather than being specifically designed for those who require probiotic supplements only
- Not formulated specifically for women
- People who incorporate protein shakes or meal replacements into their day
JS Health Protein and Probiotics
This probiotic-boosted protein powder is a vegan and gluten-free way to enhance your gut flora as part of your daily routine. Plant-based and low-calorie, JS Health Protein and Probiotics make gut health easy.
- Enhanced with Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- CFU specifics are not listed
- Part of a low-calorie protein powder that you can add to a shake or smoothie, this gut booster helps you create a better microbiome with your daily protein drink
- With only one strain of bacteria included, this booster is limited in its helpfulness for menopausal and vaginal-specific issues
- Those who already drink protein shakes or smoothies
- Those looking to add the Lactobacillus rhamnosus to their daily supplement intake
Best Probiotic Pills & Capsules for Women
Available in pill or capsule form, this classic form of probiotic is super convenient, portable, and travels easily with your other supplements or medicines in a pill box or handbag.
For some people, the thick coating and larger size of some probiotic pills can be a deal breaker and it is important to note the size of the pill and ingredients in the capsule before buying.
Here are some of the best probiotic pills available.
Our first suggestion in the probiotic pills & capsules category is Bio-Kult Candéa. Scientifically formulated with your gut and intimate flora in mind. Created for men, women and children, it provides a convenient solution to your daily probiotic intake needs.
- 2 Billion CFU from 7 gut-friendly bacterial strains
- Made up of 7 gut-friendly bacteria that are suitable for men, women, and children
- No artificial colouring or flavours
- Not specifically formulated for women
- Contains milk and soya
- Potential taste of garlic for some users and as such, advised to take with savoury food
- Those who don’t mind taking pills
- Looking for a quick and easy solution to taking probiotics
- Those who suffer from gluten intolerance
Holland and Barrett Live Friendly Bacteria Chewable Tablets
This chewable tablet option from Holland and Barrett is a great way to get started when improving your gut flora.
- 1 Billion CFU blend including lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium animalis
- Affordable and chewable, for those who struggle with swallowing large pills or capsules
- Chewable tablets are not everybody's cup of tea and the limited blend of bacteria strains may limit the benefits in vaginal health compared with other options.
- Includes artificial sweetener (sorbitol)
- Budget-friendly options to improve your microbiome
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- For those who are constantly on the go and require a convenient solution
DR. Vegan pH Hero®
Environmentally conscious and plastic-free brand of women's probiotics is completely vegan.
- Containing 5 probiotic strains, providing 20 billion CFU
- Designed with UTI help, and vaginal health in mind
- Vegan, kosher, halal
- Packaging is plastic-free
- Although a convenient pill to take, this method is not for the spontaneous as the capsule must be taken within twenty minutes before or after hot food or drink. For people on the go, any kind of scheduling around their supplements can be a deal breaker
- Vegan, kosher, halal-oriented lifestyles
Probiotic Liquid Solutions for Women
For people who prefer not to take a pill and have no use for mix-in powders, liquid versions of probiotics are popular. Although historically, many brands of probiotic liquid were low in flora amounts, new higher CFU versions of these liquids and drinks are more widely available.
Here are some popular choices for liquid probiotic solutions.
Symprove Daily Essential
Containing both probiotics and prebiotics, Symprove Daily Essential is an alternative to pill and powder-based micro biome helpers.
- 10 Billion CFUs per liquid shot
- For people averse to pills, this high-quality daily probiotic liquid is a helpful alternative
- On the more expensive end of the options listed in this article
- Inconvenient for travel
- Those who are not a fan of pills & capsules, powders, or gummies
Microbz Bio-Live Women
A liquid supplement formulated for women containing 15 families of live active cultures, intricately fermented with 18 potent herbs and minerals. This unique blend is crafted to naturally maintain hormonal balance throughout every phase of a woman's journey.
- Active cultures from 15 families of bacteria plus 18 herbs for supporting women's health
- CFU count not specified
- An alternative to large pills, this liquid probiotic blend is easy to take and contains 18 herbs that offer potential additional benefits for women’s health concerns
- Although good for women looking to avoid tablets, the traditional liquid delivery method is inconvenient for travel, is not gluten-free, and specific CFU details are not available
- Budget-friendly mild supplementation
Biomel Dairy-Free Probiotic Shots
Biomel offers a delightful and efficient solution for gut health. Crafted from a plant-based blend, their probiotic drinks are rich in vitamins, minerals, and teem with billions of live active cultures. Enjoy both the flavour and the benefits for your digestive well-being.
- The packaging mentions billions of CFUs but no details on the specific bacteria strains.
- Easy to drink and comes in tasty and dairy-free flavours like coconut, chocolate, and vanilla
- Biomel makes gluten-free probiotic shots available to vegans
- Strains of bacteria cultures are not specified in these probiotic-boosting drinks
- Not convenient for travel
- A quick and tasty biodome boost
Best Probiotic Supplement Picks
With so many excellent probiotic choices available, it is easier than ever to find probiotics for women that can help to support vaginal and urinary health. Our top picks for each delivery method are:
- Gummies: Women's Bio-Balance
- Probiotic pills and tablets: Garden of Life Raw Probiotics Vaginal Care
- Liquid probiotic solutions: Symprove Daily Essential
- Probiotic powder: Biomel Complete Gut
So there you have it, the top 10 probiotics for women covering a range of lifestyle and dietary choices.
Whether it’s a specific type of delivery method that you’re looking for – gummies, pills & capsules, powders, or liquids – or specific dietary requirements that you might have – vegan, halal, gluten-free, dairy-free – there exists a range of options that caters to everyones needs.
Novomins offer a fantastic alternative to more traditional methods of pills, liquids, and clunky powders. With gummies fast becoming the go-to solution for those who lead a busy lifestyle and are constantly on the go, take a look at their full range of gummies formulated for women to find out more.